- 2 boneless pork chops, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup wild rice, cooked
- 1 15 1/2-oz can Great Northern beans, drained
- 1 15 1/2-oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1 4-oz can diced green chiles, drained
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 14 1/2-oz can chicken broth
- Fresh parsley, chopped
In 4-quart saucepan sauté onions and pork in oil over medium-high heat until onions are soft and pork lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients except parsley; bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer 20 minutes. Serve garnished with parsley.
Wine suggestion: Serve with a soft red like Merlot.
This hearty soup is easy to put together just before serving. Serve with buttered rye bread, celery and carrot sticks and fresh fruit.
To make one cup cooked wild rice, bring to a boil 1 1/3 cups water (or broth) with 1/3 cup wild rice; cover, lower heat and simmer for 35-45 minutes. Refrigerate until using.
Calories: 250 calories
Protein: 17 grams
Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 540 milligrams
Cholesterol: 20 milligrams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams