- 1 1/2 pounds pork loin roast, OR pork shoulder, boneless,cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin, OR chili powder
- 1 16-oz jar salsa verde, (green salsa)
- 1 14 1/2-oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, OR Mexican-style diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 12-oz bottle beer, (can use non-alcoholic)
- 1 10-oz package frozen corn kernels
- 1 3/4 cup prepared corn bread, day-old*
- 1 or 2 tablespoons olive oil, OR cooking oil
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, OR Monterey Jack cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- Chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker add pork, onion, and 1 teaspoon of the cumin; stir to combine. Add salsa, tomatoes, beer, and corn. Cover and cook for 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 to 3 1/2 hours on high.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin over medium heat. Add corn bread. Cook, tossing frequently with a spatula, until cornbread croutons are lightly browned. Remove from heat.
Spoon pork verde into serving bowls; top each with some of the croutons and cheese.
*Purchase prepared cornbread in the bakery department of your grocery store or prepare it from a box mix or recipe. The croutons will hold together better if the cubes are slightly dry, either 1 to 3 days old or cubed and left uncovered for a few hours.
Dress up each serving with a sprinkling of chopped fresh cilantro. Round out the meal with a salad of torn romaine or mixed greens tossed with orange segments, chopped red onion, avocado, and vinaigrette dressing. If you have leftovers, reheat and use a slotted spoon to serve it atop warmed flour tortillas, along with chopped lettuce and shredded cheese.
Calories: 420 calories
Protein: 26 grams
Fat: 18 grams
Sodium: 790 milligrams
Cholesterol: 85 milligrams
Saturated Fat: 5 grams
Carbohydrates: 32 grams
Fiber: 2 grams