- 8 boneless pork chops, thin, about 2 ounces each
- 2 green bell peppers, each cut into 8 lengthwise strips
- 2 portabello mushrooms, cut into 8 slices
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges, separagted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 8 pita pocket bread halves
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, (2 ounce each), low-fat, part skim, cut in half
Heat oven to broil. Coat a large baking pan with cooking spray. Arrange pork chops and vegetables in a single layer on baking pan. In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and fennel seed. Brush mixture on both sides of pork. Broil 5 to 6 inches from heat for about 5-6 minutes, or until pork has internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145 degrees Fahrenheit, followed by a 3-minute rest time and vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from oven; divide pork and vegetables among pita pocket breads. Add 1 slice of cheese to each sandwich.
Makes 8 sandwiches (4 servings).
What better way to eat your vegetables than from an Italian-inspired pita sandwich? Use different colored bell peppers for a festive look. Serve with Jicama Salad with Chile and Lime and fresh sliced tomatoes.
Calories: 188 calories
Protein: 21 grams
Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 280 milligrams
Cholesterol: 75 milligrams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 21 grams