- 1-2 large sweet onions, (such as Vidalia), chopped (3 cups)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 2-crust package refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
In large skillet, cook and stir onions, brown sugar and oil for 3 minutes. Add water; cook and stir until onions are tender and golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in medium bowl, stir together eggs, milk, cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in onion mixture; set aside. Using a 3-inch round cookie cutter, cut pie crusts into rounds. Place in medium muffin cups, shaping to fit bottom and about 1/2 inch up the side of each cup. Spoon about 2 tablespoons onion mixture into each pie crust cup. bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until knife inserted in center of tartlet comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups for 5 minutes; remove from pans. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 30 to 32 tartlets.
* For extra richness, substitute heavy (whipping) cream.
- - Tailgate Tip: Bake and refrigerate these tarts up to 1 day ahead. Reheat them on a grill at the tailgate party.
These sweet and savory onion tartlets will round out your tailgate menu.
Calories: 103 calories
Protein: 2 grams
Fat: 6 grams
Sodium: 89 milligrams
Cholesterol: 20 milligrams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Fiber: 0 grams