- 3 ounces Canadian-style bacon, cut into thin strips
- 4 egg white
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 ounce)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped OR 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teasp white pepper
- 5 teaspoon butter, or margarine
- 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored; stir in Canadian-style bacon, cheese, half of the basil, and pepper. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites.
In a 10-inch skillet with oven-proof handle, heat 2 teaspoons of the butter over medium heat till a drop of water sizzles. Spoon egg mixture into skillet, gently smoothing surface. Reduce heat to low; cook for 7 to 8 minutes or until the bottom is golden.
Bake in a 350 degree F. oven for 10-12 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and outer edge comes out clean.
Meanwhile, in skillet cook mushrooms and green pepper in the remaining hot butter over medium heat 3 minutes or until tender. Add the remaining basil and tomato; cook 5 minutes or till liquid is reduced, stirring occasionally.
Breakfast for two, serve this omelet with fresh strawberries, buttered croissants, and good coffee.
Calories: 372 calories
Protein: 24 grams
Fat: 27 grams
Sodium: 731 milligrams
Cholesterol: 481 milligrams
Saturated Fat: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Fiber: 2 grams