1) Coat meat lightly with seasoned flour, if desired.
2) In a large, heavy pan with a lid, brown meat on all sides in a small amount of oil; remove excess drippings from the pan.
3) Cover meat with desired liquid(s).
4) Cover pan and simmer over low heat on stove or in a low to moderate (275 to 300° F) oven for 1 to 3 hours, until tender.
5) If adding vegetables, add toward the end of cooking time, during the last 20 to 45 minutes.
Leftovers? They’re even better reheated tomorrow.
Prepare dinner in the slow cooker and it’s ready when you are!