4 pound pork loin center roast, boneless, (untied), fat and silver skin trimmed
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 to 9 slices bacon
1 cup barbecue sauce, purchased
- Preheat oven to 450ºF. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to plate and cool for 10 minutes.
- Wrap bacon slices vertically around pork roast; do not overlap bacon. Tie lengthwise and crosswise with kitchen string to hold bacon in place; tuck loose ends of bacon under string. Place on a rack in a roasting pan, tucked-bacon side down.
- Roast on rack for 15 minutes. Turn pork over and reduce temperature to 350ºF and roast for 15 minutes. Remove rack and return pork to pan, tucked-end side up. Roast, turning occasionally until bacon is browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the roast reads 145ºF, about 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Skim fat from pan juices, leaving browned juices in pan.
- Add barbecue sauce and preferred ingredient (*see below) and bring to simmer over medium heat, stirring to loosen browned bits in pan; simmer 2 minutes.
- Remove strings, carve pork, and serve with sauce.
Serves 10 6-oz portions
• Savory: Whisk 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard into the sauce.
• Spicy: Stir in 2 tablespoons pickled jalapenos chilies (nacho slices), drained and finely chopped, into the sauce.
• Fruity: Stir one 8.25-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained, into the sauce.
• Smoky: Stir in 1 or 2 minced canned chipotle chilies in adobo into the sauce.